Contact Details of MTDC Lonavala at Karla
Tariff : Budget
In general, Budget hotels provide no frills accommodation. Rooms have fan, attached bath and toilet. Do not expect very high service standards.
- Location : Like most MTDC resorts, Karla resort boasts of spacious green campus and an excellent location. MTDC Karla is located near Mumbai - Pune Expressway and away from the hustle and bustle of Lonavala town.
- Reaching There : Drive down on the Mumbai Express way and take the second exit to Lonavala. Lonavala is a popular Weekend getaway from Mumbai .
- Accommodation :Spacious cottages
- Restaurant : MTDC run restaurant. Plenty of other options at Lonavala
- Facilities : Play area, Water Park
- Booking Online at MTDC website
Reviews (2) - MTDC Lonavala at Karla
MTDC Lonavala at Karla has one of the best locations - near to a lake and away from the hustle and bustle of Lonavala town. There is a good children park that is better than that at other Lonavala resorts. Of course, the campus is pretty spacious and the cottages are huge and not cramped like other hotels at Lonavala.
It is also easy to reach MTDC Lonavala as you can drive on the express way till the Karla exit and therefore bypass the crowded Lonavala streets. During weekends and in Monsoon months, Lonavala gets crowded. If you are staying at MTDC Lonavala then select the cottage accommodation as they are the best ones.
Now let me come to the negatives of MTDC Lonavala:
1. Rooms are not particularly clean and the service levels are sub standard.
2. Food quality and taste is pretty poor. I would suggest you drive down to lonavala or visit the Dhaba nearby for dinner.
3. The water park at MTDC Lonavala is not operated for most part of the year.
4. generators are not switched on and that is a huge issue though you definitely do not need AC given the weather
The reason I love MTDC Karla is:
1. It is away from the main market area. Main Market area is disgusting with cars and trucks honking and a perennial traffic jam
2. Most resorts at Lonavala are opportunistic. They jack up the tariff to unreasonable levels in weekends. MTDC Lonavala being a Government resort does not do that
3. You can avoid the traffic jam at Lonavala. If you are coming from expressway, do not take the first exit from Mumbai to Lonavala. Instead, drive further and take the second exit
4. MTDC is closer to all teh real attractions - baja caves; Lohagad trek.
What I do not like:
1. Absence of any activities
2. Food quality. Let me share one more thing, I went to Lonavala and had lunch at Maharana Pratap as there were signboards all over. Food was very average and they charged me a King's ransom of Rs.200! Beware Lonavala is full of opportunists.Ramakrishna is the best bet for lunch at Lonavala