Last Updated on Tuesday, 13 March 2012 02:58
Hill Stations Near Bangalore
Hill stations near Bangalore - Details, Route Map and Accommodation
Called "Ooty of AP", Horsley hills is a beautiful hill station close to Bangalore. APTDC have made arrangements for Adventure sports in association with a private club
- Accommodation Details : Governor's bunglow run by APTDC is the best option at Horsley Hills (08571-279323)
- Road Condition : Average - Reach Madanapalli via Kolar - Palmaneru. Scenic drive from Madanapalli to Horsley hills
- Route Map : Bangalore to Horsley Hills
Small hill station in Tamil Nadu reachable from Banagalore in 3 hours. Popular for boat rides , Observatory at Kavalur( open to public on Saturdays). Yelagiri is emerging as an important paragliding hotspot
Yercaud, in Shevaroy hills (near Salem) is often called poor man's Ooty. Yercaud is interesting in its own right with coffee estate and lake as key attractions. Ideal for long walks and drive to scenic view points. The glittering view of lights of Salem during night is particularly bewitching.
Coorg (Kodagu) is a hill-station district with varied attractions. Attractions at Coorg include serene weather, coffee estates, unique Kodava culture and wildlife sanctuaries.Best to explore Coorg over multiple weekend trips.
Accommodation : Coorg Resorts and Homestays
- The best way to experience Kodagu is to stay at one of the homestays typically set in a coffee estate. Best for plantation walks and to explore Kodagu cuisine.
- Road Condition : Good except for small patches. Road condition between various attractions at Coorg is poor
- Route Map : Bangalore to Coorg
If you seek adventure then a trek to Tadiyendamol, the highest peak of Coorg is a must. Kakkabe, in Coorg district is the base station for Tadiyendamol trek. Kakkabe is also famous for its honey and Naalkunaadu Palace
Chikmagalur, close to Baba Budan Giri ranges in Malnad district is a serene town with plenty of coffee estate around Chikmagalur town. Ideal for estate stays, treks and to soak in cool environs of a hill station.
Set on lofty Western Ghats, Wayanad is One of Kerala's popular Hill station. If you are going for Tholpetti circuit,enroute, you could visit Nagarhole
Accommodation Details : Wayanad has regular resorts and homestays set in coffee estates.
Kolli Hills is an upcoming offbeat quiet hill station near Namakkal in Tamil Nadu.
Ooty used to be refered to as Queen of Hill Stations. Unfortunately, crowds have taken its toll and in peak season the crowds could be overwhelming. If you visit Ooty in the off-season, then it will mesmerize you.
Close to Ooty but much quieter with many attractions and off beat activities - especially farm stays and cheese making activities.
Accommodation : Coonoor Homestays
- Coonoor has many homestays, Farm stays and estate stays. These are best options for weekend traveler as well as for those into experiential travel
- Road Condition : Coonoor is reached vis Ooty. Drive to Ooty is scenic via Mysore, Bandipur and Masinagudi forests
- Route Map : Bangalore to Ooty
Popular hill station with many off beat activities apart from regular hill station attractions like boating etc.
As a Day Trip
- Nandi hills is the nearest hill station from Bangalore. Nandi hills boasts of numerous view points and pleasant weather. It is best visited as a day trip. Accommodation at Nandi Hills is restricted to Government guest houses
- Road Condition: Excellent - Take the New Airport Road. Watch out for "Nandi Hills - Turn Left" board around 7 Kms after Devanahalli.
- Route Map : Bangalore to Nandi Hills
While not near Bangalore by any standards, you can also try the ever popular Manali and Shimla for a hill station vacation especially during winters to witness snowfall, something that you will never see at Bangalore.